A new Watt Brothers shop opened in the Glasgow suburb of Clarkston – the shop is still in business today. It occupied the lower floor of a residential block. The houses were later converted into stock rooms for the store downstairs.
In Glasgow the Watt family extended its fashion offer into the bridal world. It launched a stand-alone fashion house called Jean Paton which became hugely popular.
In 1954 the company sponsored a major fashion show attracting big-name designers from all over Europe including the Scottish – but Paris based – gown designer Ronald Paterson. His involvement in the Watt Brothers’ fashion event made big headlines.
The company’s slogan for attracting customers changed to “Famous for Exclusive Fashions”.